Jewelry care

Jewelry Care

To keep your jewelry looking as good as new, it’s important that you follow the care instructions appropriate for the material your jewelry is made from. Lumitoro Jewelry is currently available in materials including sterling silver, raw bronze, nylon, stainless steel with bronze infusion, matte black stainless steel and titanium. Recommended jewelry care is based on the materials used in production.

How to care for sterling silver jewelry

To retain the original shine and luster of your sterling silver jewelry, it must be properly stored and cleaned.

Lumitoro jewelry contains 92.5% pure silver. The other 7.5% is made up of copper, the most  commonly used metal to make up the remaining content of a sterling silver mix. The addition of copper makes the silver harder, but also means the silver will tarnish more easily. Tarnish develops over time and starts as a yellow tinge and eventually, a black residue on the surface of the silver.

To prevent the natural tarnishing process, we recommend you store your sterling silver jewelry in tarnish-resistant cloths or bags, which slow down tarnishing. Keep your sterling silver jewelry in a cool, dry place and separate from other jewelry which could cause scratches.

We recommend you clean your jewelry using polishing cloths that are specially formulated for sterling silver jewelry.

How to care for raw bronze jewelry

Lumitoro’s raw bronze jewelry has a deep red color that looks similar to rose gold. The bronze used in Lumitoro’s jewelry is nickel-free and composed of 15% zinc, 5% tin and 80% copper.

As bronze is exposed to oxygen and moisture, it will tarnish or develop a green patina over time. You’ll notice this effect on bronze statues. Many people choose to leave the patina as it adds character to the piece. However, if you wish to avoid patina on your raw bronze jewelry, scrub it lightly with a fine steel wool pad (available at any hardware store), once a month or as needed. Rinse beneath lukewarm water, then pat gently with a soft, dry cloth.

Please note: “Bronze jewelry often contains copper, which will turn your skin green whether you have an allergy or not. Bronze and copper turn your skin green because when the copper reacts with your sweat and the acids from your skin, it produces copper chloride. Copper chloride is a green substance that then rubs off on your skin. If you are prone to sweating, your bronze jewelry will definitely turn your skin green. This chemical reaction can also be prevented by painting any part of the jewelry that comes in contact with your skin with clear nail polish.”


How to care for nylon jewelry

The nylon material used in select Lumitoro pieces is heat proof up to 80ºC / 176ºF degrees Higher temperatures may significantly change material properties.

The red and black nylon pieces are dyed so we recommended avoiding long exposure to strong sunlight as the color might fade.

Though the nylon material is quite strong and can be bent, we suggest handling your nylon jewelry with care, as you would with any other jewelry.

How to care for stainless steel jewelry

Select Lumitoro pieces are available in stainless steel with bronze infusion and matte black stainless steel.

Though we use a bronze-infused stainless steel, it remains resistant to tarnishing due to a special coating that is applied. Lumitoro stainless steel jewelry doesn’t scratch easily but it is prone to scratching. Therefore, we recommend storing stainless steel jewelry separately, e.g., do not store earrings together.

You have several options when it comes to cleaning your stainless steel jewelry. Always clean with the grain vs. in a circular motion.

1. To clean with detergent, mix some hand or dish soap with warm water, soak your jewelry for a few minutes and use a soft brush to scrub. Rinse clean and dry with a microfiber cloth.

2. For a deeper cleaning, use 'plain' whitening toothpaste and a soft cloth. And again, follow the grain of your piece.

3. Use stainless steel cleaner or a jewelry cloth and gently wipe your piece.

4. Take it to a professional.


How to care for titanium jewelry

Titanium is durable, lightweight, resistant to tarnishing and hypoallergenic. Relatively easy to care for, it can be polished with a jewelry cloth, soaked in a jewelry cleaning solution or cleaned with a mild detergent.

To clean with detergent, mix some hand or dish soap with warm water, soak your jewelry for a few minutes and use a soft brush to scrub. Rinse clean and dry with a microfiber cloth.

Should the shine of your titanium jewelry dull over time, you may need to have the piece professionally buffed to restore the shine.